The Bureau of Cultural Heritage of the Ministry of Culture held the 15th meeting of the 6th Advisory Committee on Monuments and Historic Buildings on November 29, and has already agreed in principle to promote Wuqiu Lighthouse to a national historic landmark, making it the fourth lighthouse to become a national historic site, after Dongyong Lighthouse on the Matsu Islands last year (2016).
Maritime and Port Bureau Director-General David Hsieh said that the Wuqiu Lighthouse was established in 1874 and appropriated by the military in 1949; it is also the only lighthouse surrounded by military forts. Although it was not designated as a historic landmark by Kinmen County until 2006, it had actually already qualified as a national historic landmark for its time of establishment, construction techniques, special geographic location, and historical background.
Wuqiu Lighthouse is located in the military controlled area; after more than 60 years of disuse, the complete preservation of historical resources became a necessary challenge to overcome before the lighthouse could become a national historic landmark. In light of this, the Maritime and Port Bureau commissioned Professor Pierre J. C. Yang to conduct historical research and a survey of the building's current condition. It was the primary data and systematic organization of the history and role of the lighthouse in his study that convinced members of the Advisory Committee on Monuments and Historic Buildings to finally promote Wuqiu Lighthouse to a national historic landmark.
Through repeated negotiations, the Maritime and Port Bureau conquered many challenges, from working in a military controlled area, review from the Advisory Committee on Monuments and Historic Buildings, to inconvenient transportation, and finally enabled the Wuqiu Lighthouse to light up again on July 23 this year. The agreement reached today to promote the lighthouse to a national historic landmark is both joyous and encouraging.
During cross-strait confrontations of the past, the military had modified the lighthouse into a closed domed structure. Now, the Maritime and Port Bureau depicts the original lighthouse and is developing a plan for the restoration of the lighthouse to its original height and replacement of the lighting equipment in the light room. The bureau continues to work hard to restore the original appearance of this historic structure.